Launch of VS 2010
When ever MicroSoft does something they do it with style with some bench mark. They have launched VS2010 on 12th April world wide in Las Vegas, Bangalore, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, and London.
One of my friend has been part of this 3 days extravaganza in Banglore. Glimpse of event found http://blogs.msdn.com/somasegar/archive/2010/04/11/announcing-visual-studio-2010-and-net-framework-4.aspx- Soma's blog.
Three edition of VS 2010
1) VS 2010 Ultimate
2) VS 2010 Premium
3) VS 2010 Professional
See the attached screenshot for detailing.
Major advances of VS 2010
1) Cloud Development: Windows Azure Tools provide the means to create services and applications within the framework of Visual Studio. That includes a project model specifically for Windows Azure, as well as the debugging capabilities of Visual Studio. With Visual Studio, you can build a package containing your service, and use Windows Azure Tools to deploy the package to Windows Azure through the Windows Live Developer Portal.
2) Parallel Programming: Microsoft® Visual Studio 2010® bears the stamp of Microsoft's commitment and provides a solid foundation for the parallel age. It will include the following:
- Parallel Pattern Library: Native C++ libraries that use lambda functions and align well with STL.
- Parallel Extensions to the .NET Framework: Librarybased support for imperative data and task parallelism via the Task Parallel Library, support for declarative data parallelism via PLINQ, and work coordination and managing
shared state via the Coordination Data Structures.
- Concurrency Runtime: Resource management of the multicore hardware and task scheduling.
- Parallel debugging windows which will provide a view of tasks running in the application, and a graphical view of parallel call stacks.
- Parallel profiling views which will give developers an understanding of their application's core utilization, thread behavior and contention blocking, and thread execution pattern per core.
3) Sharepoint Development:you can use the new Visual Studio project templates to quickly create or update SharePoint elements such as list definitions, list instances, site definitions, workflows, event receivers, Bbusiness Data Catalog models, and content types. In addition, you can use Server Explorer to browse a SharePoint site and its content. Yyou can also import existing SharePoint content using the WSP Importer, allowing you to easily edit its code using Visual Studio 2010.
4) Visual Studio 2010 Project Templates:Visual Studio 2010 includes designers that you can use to create Web Parts, application pages, and user controls for a SharePoint site. Bby developing in Visual Studio, you get benefits such as full support for code debugging, Intellisense, and statement completion. Project wizards simplify solution development. In Visual Studio 2010 you can create workflows at the site level. In addition, you can add association and initiation forms for either list or site workflows.
5) Sharepoint Application Page Designer:you can design Bbusiness Data Catalog models that aggregate and integrate business data into your SharePoint solutions. The data can come from back-end server applications such as Microsoft SQL Server, Siebel, and SAP.
6) Windows 7 Development: In Visual Studio 2010 we've invested heavily in C++ to make developing native Windows applications easier and more productive.
7) Office Business Application Development:In Visual Studio 2010 developers will be able to build Office client applications that span multiple versions of Office, either 32 or 64-bit and deliver these as a single deployment package.
8) VS Team System 2010: The approach is to enable both technical and non-technical users to create and use models to collaborate and to define business and system functionality graphically.
- Discover and identify existing code assets and architecture with the new Architecture Explorer.
- Design and share multiple diagram types, including use case, activity and sequence diagrams.
- Improve testing efforts with tooling for better documentation of test scenarios and more thorough collection of test data.
- Identify and run only the tests impacted by a code change easily with the new Test Impact View.
- Enhanced version control capabilities including gated check-in, branch visualization and build workflow.
For more on "Parallel Extensions supported by ASP.NET" refer following articles (Posted by Prasoon Kumar):