DotNetNuke is an open source web application framework written in VB.NET for the ASP.NET framework. The application's content management system is extensible and customizable through the use of skins and modules, and it can be used to create, deploy, and manage intranet, extranet, online publishing portals, custom vertical applications and web sites.
DNN allows customers to manage the structure, navigation, security and content of a website, intranet, extranet or portal. Functionality includes the ability to:
- Manage Content
- Create pages and sub-pages
- Place content “modules", including:
• Threaded Discussion Forums
• Email Forms
• Banner Ads
• Photo Albums
• Calendar of Events
• Module Sharing
• RSS News Feeds
• Broadcast e-mail to individual users / group accounts
- Manage Security
- Set security to pages and individual content
- Create and manage individual user and group accounts
- Allow for automatic or authorized registration to the site
- Site Administration
- Real-Time Traffic Reporting
• Track registered user account activity
• Page popularity
• Overall hits
• Site referrals
• Page views by day, hour and month
• Browser types (“agents")
- Look and Feel Administration
• If applicable, select from pre-defined look and feel “skins" for various sections of the website, or for individual pages
1. Versatile – DotNetNuke is an open source web application framework ideal for creating, deploying and managing interactive web, intranet and extranet sites.
2. User-Friendly – DotNetNuke is designed to make it easy for administrators, content editors, developers, and designers to manage all aspects of their web assets. Wizards, content-sensitive help, and a well-researched user interface provide a superior user experience.
3. Powerful – DotNetNuke can support multiple websites from a single application installation. In dividing administrative options between host level and individual site level, DotNetNuke allows administrators to manage an unlimited number of websites – each with its own unique appearance and content.
4. Feature-Rich – DotNetNuke comes loaded with a set of built-in features that provide exceptional functionality. Site hosting, web design, content management, security, and membership options are all easily managed and customized through simple, browser-based tools.
5. Supported - DotNetNuke is managed and supported by DotNetNuke Corporation, a legal entity which provides production Service Level Agreements as well as other professional services for the platform. DotNetNuke is also supported by its Core Team of volunteer developers and a dedicated international community. Through user groups, online forums, resource portals and a network of companies who specialize in DNN®, help is always close at hand.
6. Easily Installed – DotNetNuke can be up-and-running within minutes. Developers can simply download the software, and follow the simple installation instructions. In addition, many web hosting companies offer integrated installation of the DotNetNuke application with their hosting plans, providing a simple mechanism for end users to experience the power of the platform.
7. Localized – DotNetNuke includes a multi-language localization feature which allows administrators to easily translate their projects and portals into any language. And with an international group of host and developers working with DotNetNuke, native support is always close at hand.
8. Open Source – DotNetNuke is provided for free, with full source code, licensed under a standard BSD open source license agreement. It allows individuals to do whatever they wish with the application framework, both commercially and non-commercially, with the simple requirement of giving credit back to the DotNetNuke community.
9. Cutting-Edge - DotNetNuke provides developers with an opportunity to leverage best-practice software development concepts by utilizing cutting-edge technologies like ASP.NET 2.0, Visual Studio, SQL Server, Windows Server, and IIS.
10. Extensible – DotNetNuke has a pluggable architecture which allows additional functionality and presentation elements to be dynamically added to the application at run-time. By leveraging the base functionality exposed through the built-in content management system, developers and site administrators can be immediately productive and more focused on delivering optimal solutions to their own unique business requirements.
11. Recognized – DotNetNuke is a trademarked name, and a brand widely recognized and respected in the open source community. With over 600,000 registered users and a talented team of developers, DotNetNuke continues to evolve its software through participation, real world trial, and end-user feedback.
DotNetNuke is designed for use on the Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 platforms using Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio 2008, or Visual Web Developer.
Key Features of DNN
1. Easy to install and to host. Built on up-to-date Microsoft ASP.NET technology, and runs on various database platforms. In addition, many hosting companies offer free installation of the DotNetNuke application with their plans.
2. Fully extensible and scalable. Suitable for a variety of projects -- from the smallest website to the largest corporate deployment. Internet or Intranet sites can be developed entirely with built-in DotNetNuke features, or can be augmented through third-party private assembly tools.
3. Clearly licensed under a BSD-style license. Software can be completely incorporated, modified, and adapted to personal/business use without having to worry about legalities.
4. Constantly evolving through real world trial. Open source nature of DotNetNuke allows programmers and webmasters to read, redistribute, and modify the source code, essentially evolving the software at a rapid pace. End-user suggestions result in quick improvements and enhancements to the software.
5. Simply efficient and manageable. DotNetNuke can support multiple portals off of one install. Divides administrative options between host level and individual portal level. Allows administrators to manage any number of sites, each with their own look and identity, all off of one hosting account.
6. Priority on security. Emphasis placed on validation, encryption, “bug" tracking and potential threats.
7. Fully customizable. Changes can be made to portals at all levels – from basic stylesheet elements like font type, color, and bullet points, to overall site appearance. New skins and module containers can be easily applied to the site with no repercussion on content.
8. Fully localized. Built-in multi-language localization features allow administrators worldwide to easily use and adapt DotNetNuke software for their own use.
9. User-friendly interface. Well-researched interface makes it easy for users to manage all aspects of their projects. Site wizards, help icons, and an intuitive user interface allow universal ease-of-operation.
Today, DotNetNuke continues to operate as the largest, most successful open source project on the Microsoft platform. The project is gaining rapid adoption across all business sectors, including the mid-market and enterprise. With a dedicated management team, passionate developer community, and prosperous ecosystem of vendors providing add-on products and services, the DotNetNuke project continues to grow and create a wealth of opportunities.