You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: .NET

Storing videos in database

Is it good way to store video files in database??
    I'm storing many videos more than 100Mb. I afraid that it would slow down my performance..
    Hi,
    Yes are correct, it will definitely slow down the server if you store large video files. Its better if you can store these files in a different location may be in the hardrive or some other location other than database.

Thanks

Reena

You can use below code snippet for good way to store video files in database is to uploading video files
    Code behind for you
    public partial class upload : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

}
    protected void Btn1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    if (FileUpLoad2.YourFile)
    {

FileUpLoad2.SaveAs(@"D:\temp\" + FileUpLoad2.FileName);
    Label2.Text = "Your Video File Uploaded: " + FileUpLoad2.FileName;
    }
    else
    {
    Label1.Text = "Your Video No File Uploaded.";
    }
    }
    }
    Useful references
    http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/42190-store-and-retrieve-video-filed-in-database/

Hi,
    Definitely your application and database will have serious performance issues if you store huge videos. It is always good to store the videos in a folder and save only the video path in database. This will allows you to retrieve the video quickly without convert/reconvert and also improves whole application performance.

Regards,
    Asheej T K

Thanks..!
    Is there any other way to store videos in db, coz it is viewed from 2 different location .. if i store videos in my system only me can retrieve the videos
    and view it. Or am i wrong??

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.