You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: .NET

What is deployment and publishing

Are you looking for a difference between deployment and publishing ? then read this thread to know more about it

Hi All,

I am confused with the deployment and publishing website. Are they same?

I want to host my asp.net web application. should I publish it or deploy it?

where should i host it?
    Hello Rahul.
    In deployment, we create a set up of the application with .exe extension. So whenever we host our application in a shared environment we use publishing.
    But when we host our own local application on the server we deploy it..
    So both the terms are same, the meaning changes depending upon your environment.

Thanks

Reena

Deployment is the process of hosting application on server. its a broadcasting of application to use by users.
    Publish is the one of the deployment process where you can publish your asp.net application on server
    To know more about publish and deploy check following path
    http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/285569/How-to-publish-an-ASP-NET-website-with-IIS

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/28693/Deploying-ASP-NET-Websites-on-IIS-7-0

Thanks
    Koolprasd2003
    Editor, DotNetSpider MVM
    Microsoft MVP 2014 [ASP.NET/IIS]

Hi,

Both deployment & publishing are one and the same. Mostly when we are working with windows apps, they use the term deployment and with web apps/site they call it as publishing.

Deployment/publishing is the process of distributing your finished application or component to be available to other users/applications.

The way of deployment will be different for Windows applications and Web applications.

For windows apps, from Visual Studio you can deploy applications or components using either ClickOnce deployment or Windows Installer deployment technology

For Web apps, from Visual Studio you have to right click on the project and you need to choose either publish option or Build deployment package option.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.