Microsoft Office Web Apps:
In this article I'm trying to explain what is Microsoft Office Web Apps, what are the advantages using web Apps and which are the browsers are supported for that and what are the Hardware requirements for that and one sample demo out of this.
What is Microsoft Office Web Apps?
Microsoft Office Web Apps is the web-based version of the Microsoft Office productivity suite. Office Web Apps server is an Office server, that provides browser based file viewing and editing facilities for Microsoft products without install the respective software's in our machine. For ex Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft One Note etc...
Advantages of using Office Web Apps:
From SharePoint 2010 onwards we have an option called as Microsoft Office Web Apps, using this we can able to view or editing Office file through web browser. For this we must Install the SharePoint Web Apps in Server, once install that then we can able to perform our action.
• Supported operating systems: Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.
• RAM: 24 Gigabytes (GB).
• Processor: Intel Xeon Processor E7 (16 core).
• Office Web Apps Server is installed on the servers' system drive.
• All servers are in a single Office Web Apps Server farm.
• All servers that are in the Office Web Apps Server use identical configurations. The default out-of-the-box Office Web Apps Server configuration settings are used.
• No Office Web Apps Server roles are configured.
• The servers that run Office Web Apps Server are located in the corporate network behind a hardware load balancer.
• The servers that run Office Web Apps Server are joined to the corporate domain and are in a single Active Directory Domain Service organizational unit (OU) for operational purposes.
• Don't install any other server applications on the server that's running Office Web Apps Server. This includes Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Lync Server, and SQL Server. If you have a shortage of servers, consider running Office Web Apps Server in a virtual machine instance on one of the servers you have.
• Don't install any services or roles that depend on the Web Server (IIS) role on port 80, 443, or 809 because Office Web Apps Server periodically removes web applications on these ports.
• Don't install any version of Office. If it's already installed, you'll need to uninstall it before you install Office Web Apps Server.
• Don't install Office Web Apps Server on a domain controller. It won't run on a server with Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).
Supported Browser for SharePoint Web Apps:
The following table summarizes the support levels web browsers.
How to Work out of this in SharePoint website:
The following steps will help you to perform Office Web Apps in our application.
1) Go to SharePoint Site and then click on Settings options then choose Site Contents, as shown in below figure.
2) Then after it will redirect to SharePoint site contents, if you are already created Document Libraries then open that or else create New Document Library by clicking on “add an App”. In my case I already have a Document Library named as “Document” opens that.
3) If office files are already available in that Document folder then open that, if office files are not available then choose “new document” to add office files into that Document.
4) Once you create file in that, then open that it will show few options like Edit Document, Share, Find and comments. Just click on Edit Document then it will appear 2 options Edit in word (or) Edit in word Web App, choose Edit in word web App option, as shown in below fig.
5) Now, you can able to edit the document, once edit the document then click on save button as shown in below fig.
6) Now, you can share that word file to someone else. Just click on share menu then it will appear one popup window, there you just call the persons and choose the role in dropdown by default the option is “can Edit” if you want to restrict only for viewing the file then give “can View” option. If you give that then he can’t able to edit that file.
7) Now, I want to perform finding the content, for that I just choose find option available in menu then enter text and search the content. In my example I just search with name “web”. It will appear in that document in 2 places, it will show that 2 places in the below of search you click that location automatically cursor focus on that place.
8) Now, I perform all actions like editing, sharing, and finding. Now, I want to perform Comments into that file for that just select the content and then choose “add new comment” option then you can add comment for the selected text, as shown in below fig.
9) Once you post the comments for the selected text then in scroll itself it will show the sync option. If you click that sync then automatically your comment will appear, then you can reply for that in the same manner, as shown in below fig.
I hope this article will give you brief description out of Office Web Apps. I think all of you are enjoyed with this; mostly this article will help you for fresher’s and those who are in beginners in that.
No responses found. Be the first to comment...