You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Visual Studio

VB.NET to retrieve data from sql server using datetime picker as its filter.

I am writing program to take all data between range of two datetime from sql using my datetimepicker as my variable. My problem is data returns null when i execute my code as below:

Dim a = DateTimePicker1.Value.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss" + "' AM'")
    Dim b = DateTimePicker2.Value.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss" + "' PM'")

Dim sql = "SELECT * FROM atable WHERE Date BETWEEN @Date1 AND @Date2"
    Dim cmd = New SqlCommand(sql, con)
    cmd.Connection = con
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Date1", a)
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Date2", b)
    Dim myReader As SqlDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader()
    myreader return value of null. is this date format prob or my reader prob? Thanks
    If you are using dateTimePicker1.Value.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss" + "' AM'") then you have to make sure that database column 'Date' must be of type datetime.
    else you can use
    Shashikant Gurav

Slightly modify your query like below and see if it works,

Dim sql = "SELECT * FROM atable WHERE Date > @Date1 AND and Date < @Date2"

Let me know the result after trying this.

Asheej T K
    Microsoft MVP[ASP.NET/IIS]
    DotNetSpider MVM

Hi, Shashikant Gurav
    I have already try your syntax but its not working. My date in database is look like this 2008-05-12 12:05:40 PM....If I convert my date time picker like this
    Dim a = DateTimePicker1.Value.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd") it can fetch data but the problem is that if I choose the start date 2008-05-01 to end date 2008-05-03 the data retrieved only from 2008-05-01 to 2008-05-02 it will not fetching data until the end time means that it will be short of one day of data.

Hi, Asheej T K
    I already try your code but its return null.

It is coming one short of date because your dates for eg. 2008-05-03 may be looks like this in database 2008-05-03 12:05:40 PM i.e. this date is interpreted as midnight when the day starts. So you have to make changes in your sql query as follows:
    SELECT * FROM atable WHERE cast(Date as date) BETWEEN
    @Date1 AND @Date2
    And use Dim a = DateTimePicker1.Value.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd") in code to pass the FROM and TO dates.
    Hope it helps.
    Shashikant Gurav

Hai Ronoer A Ahong,
    Fir filtering using the date-picker values, the value of the date-picker and the database values must be in the same format.
    To do so, you need to convert the values to a format when using in the query and use the same format for the database fields values.
    Like below:

SELECT * FROM atable WHERE YourFormat(Date) >= YourFormat(@Date1) AND and YourFormat(Date) <= YourFormat(@Date2)

Keep in mind that both side the format is same.
    Hope it will be helpful to you.

Pawan Awasthi(DNS MVM)
    +91 8123489140 (whatsApp), +60 14365 1476(Malaysia)

Hi Shashikant Gurav,
    I already tried ur code example but i get and error on the CAST.

Hello Pawan Awasthi(DNS MVM),
    I have try ur code and this is error when i executing it: 'dd' is not a recognized function name. dd is for my date format

try this code

SELECT * FROM atable WHERE Date1 BETWEEN '2016-03-01 02:48:13 AM' AND '2016-03-25 02:48:13 PM'

use test
    --dROP table atable
    create table atable
    date1 datetime

INSERT INTO atable VALUES ('AAAA','2016-03-01 02:48:13')
    INSERT INTO atable VALUES ('BBBB','2016-03-25 02:48:13')
    INSERT INTO atable VALUES ('AAAA','2016-03-28 02:48:13')

working good try this implemented in your page and let me know.

Name : Dotnet Developer-2015
    Email Id

'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

Can you please tell which error did u get on CAST? and which SQL server you are using?
    Shashikant Gurav

I have already fix this issues. I change my datetimepicker format property into custom then give this format 'yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss tt' instead of in the code. finally I set default value for the hour into start date 'yyyy-MM-dd 00:00:00 tt' and the end date '11:59:59 PM'(this is for 12 hours system). After I done it I just call the date timepicker like this
    Dim a = DateTimePicker1.value()
    Dim b = DateTimePicker2.value()
    Thank You all.

Sign In to post your comments