You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: ASP.NET

Can i install both VS 2008 & VS 2012 in same machine

when I install VS2008 I got error failed to install .net framework 2.0 & 3.5. I already installed VS2012 in that machine. can I install lower framework in a machine which already have higher framework.

Hi Saravana Perumal,

Yes, you can install and maintain multiple versions of VS on the same computer.

I have VS 2008 and 2015 installed on single machine and they all work independently.

In my scenario, I have installed the lower version first.

Hope this will helpful to you.

Ram Prasad

Yes you can install different visual studio in one machine. As the framework can be choosed from the visual studio options like target framework you can set lower framework. In new version of visual studio by default 4.5 framework is targeted.
    If you face any errors then try to install lower version first and followed by the latest version.

Sridhar Thota.
    Editor: DNS Forum.

Hi Sridhar & Ram

Thanks for your valuable reply.. I will try to install lower version and then upper version..

Thanks & Regards
    Saravana Perumal.N

Hello Saravana Perumal,

If you have Installed VS 2012 first than you are trying to install VS2008. It won't allow install lower version of .NET

To use both versions simultaneously you must install VS2008 first which has lower versions till .NET Framework 3.5 and than VS2012 which has highest versions than VS2008 till .NET Framework 4.5

Hope you understand.

Nirav Lalan
    DNS Gold Member
    "Failure is the path of least persistence"

Thanks & Regards
    Saravana Perumal.N

You can install different visual studio versions in single machine. But it is always best to install the lower visual studio version first and then the higher visual studio version.

In your case, you should install first VS2008 and then VS2012. Some times you will encounter issues when you try to install VS higher version on top of lower version.

Thanks & Regards,
    Mahesh Durgam

The answer is "yes" You can maintain multiple versions of visual studio. First you should install lower then Install higher version.

Give respect to your work, Instead of trying to impress your boss.

Blog :

Ofcourse you can install both VS version in your pc

First try to low version to high version framework thats best

Name : Dotnet Developer-2015
    Email Id

'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

Sign In to post your comments