- Category: .NET
1.Web services support only http protocol.
Wcf support http,tcp, msmq and named pipes protocol.
2.Web services are hosted in IIS only.
Wcf can be hosted as self hosting, windows service, IIS and WAS.
3.Web services uses xmlserializer
Wcf uses Datacontractserializer.
4.Web service uses attribute [webservice] at class level and attribute [webmethod] for methods.
Wcf uses attribute [servicecontract] at interface level and attribute [operationcontract] for methods.
4.Web services are generated using tool wsdl.exe
Wcf service are generated using svcutil.exe
For major differences between Web service and Wcf refer below link.
For differences between Web service, Wcf and web api refer below link.
If you learn't from defeat..
You haven't really lost..
Editor: DNS Forum.
WCF service we can access Globally like
we can customized in this service.
Webservice we canot use this .only using implemented projects only.
low level usage options.
Name : Dotnet Developer-2015
Email Id : email@example.com
'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.
- #761902We can simple tell WPI API in MVC is doing one of the functionality of the WCF services .
Direction is important than speed
- #761929Hello Praveen,
WCF : Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is a framework for building service-oriented applications. Using WCF, you can send data as asynchronous messages from one service endpoint to another.
Web Service : Web services are web application components. Web services can be published, found, and used on the Web.
Web API : Web API is a framework that makes it easy to build HTTP services which can work with infinite clients, browsers, mobile apps, etc.
Hope this will help you.
DNS Gold Member
"Failure is the path of least persistence"
- #761964Hai Praveen,
There are many differences which makes the Web Service, WCF Service and the Web API separate from each other. As Many of our members has given the points related to the Webservice and WCF service, I would like to give about the Web API so that it will be more clear.
1. Web API is simplest and light as compared to Webservice and WCF Service.
2. Although Web API worked based on HTTP(Web Service is based on SOAP) and can return JSON as well as XML while the Web Service returns only XML data.
3. Web API is best for limited bandwidth like for Mobile and have limited functionality for GET, POST, PUT etc.
4. Web API is best to create the Restful services where there is no need to consume the service by the end client.
5. Web API based service needs only URL to call the service methods.
6. Web API based services also support the MVC features like controller, action,routing, filters etc.
Hope it will be helpful to you.
Pawan Awasthi(DNS MVM)
+91 8123489140 (whatsApp), +60 14365 1476(Malaysia)