You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Sharepoint

Usage of application pages in sharepoint 2010

why i Should go for spplication pages insted of site pages what are athe advantages and disadvantages in pleas share real time knowledge, dont copy some links from others.usage of application pages in sharepoint 2010 and sharepoint 2013,
    Hello Anil Kumar,

Basically A site page contains text, images, web parts etc and Site pages are stored in the file system. Where Application pages are stored on the file system of the front-end Web server in the %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS directory.

A site page can contain inline server code, but once it becomes customized it can not contain. A site page can also host features such as dynamic Web Parts, and Web Part Zones.
    Example of site page is Default.aspx

An application page can not host features such as dynamic Web Parts, and Web Part Zones.
    Example of application page is Settings.aspx

It supports inline code and also if you want to run custom code then it is better to use application pages.

The reason mentioned in below line thats why you should go for application pages.

Hope this information is much for you.

Regards,
    Nirav Lalan
    DNS Gold Member
    "Failure is the path of least persistence"

We can also write your costome code using site pages also right by using ECMA, so why should i go for Application Pages

Hello Anil Kumar,

No customization can be done by the user.
    Application pages are stored on the web server's file system and run in a more priviledged security context. You tend to use these to create administrative interfaces.

Site pages (such as default.aspx) are user-targeted, and available for customization using Microsoft SharePoint Designer.

So this is the major difference between Site pages and Application Pages.

Regards,
    Nirav Lalan
    DNS Gold Member
    "Failure is the path of least persistence"

We can also write your costome code using site pages also right by using ECMA, so why should i go for Application Pages

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.