Forums » .NET » .NET »

date difference

Posted Date: 09 Feb 2006      Posted By:: Sarika Sawant     Member Level: Gold    Member Rank: 0     Points: 2   Responses: 13

I am working in C#.net
we have used code to find month difference between 2 dates
but when we give dates as
Date1=4/7/2006
Date2=4/7/2007
it is not showing ans as 12 but showing 0 as answer.
why ?
Give me proper coding

DateTime date1=DtWarrantyEndDate;
DateTime date2=DtAMCEndDate;
long diff=date2.Ticks-date1.Ticks;
DateTime difTime = new DateTime( Math.Abs( diff) );
int Months = difTime.Month;
txtAMCDuration.Text=Convert.ToString(Months-1);

Responses

#41082    Author: vivekthangaswamy      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 426     Date: 09/Feb/2006   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

For this you have to find the date difference in months then only you will get as 12 months. if try to find the difference between months i will say 0 only. because it will chk diff for months alone and it will not chk the year.

Thanks
Vivek

#41098    Author:       Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 0     Date: 09/Feb/2006   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Hi
Little bit complicated just think this senerio jan 1 to feb 15 of the same year what will be the result? 1 month or 2?

try like this

DateTime first=Convert.ToDateTime("4/7/2007");
DateTime second=Convert.ToDateTime("4/7/2006");
TimeSpan diff=first.Subtract(second);
int totalMonths=(int)diff.TotalDays/30; //I have conside 30 days a months
Response.Write(totalMonths.ToString());

Pankaj

#41101    Author: Pankaj Mishra      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 52     Date: 09/Feb/2006   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Hi
Little bit complicated just think this Scenario jan 1 to feb 15 of the same year what will be the result? 1 month or 2?

try like this

DateTime first=Convert.ToDateTime("4/7/2007");
DateTime second=Convert.ToDateTime("4/7/2006");
TimeSpan diff=first.Subtract(second);
int totalMonths=(int)diff.TotalDays/30; //I have consider 30 days a month
Response.Write(totalMonths.ToString());

Pankaj

Regards,
Pankaj

#53920    Author: Steven Daniels      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 17/May/2006   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Off the top of my head I can think of

(date2.Month - date1.Month) + (12* (date2.Year - date1.Year))

Maybe that will work for you.

#186983    Author: majid       Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 06/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Steven,

what will be answer for date1:30/1/2007 and date2:1/2/2007

:)

#186987    Author: Steven Daniels      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 06/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Majid,

It will give 1. (2-1) +(12*0)
This is because it counts the number of month boundaries, which is what I interpreted the original question to be about. If you think it should be 0 because there the dates are actually only 2 days apart, then you are asking a different question. In that case, you actually want to know how many days apart the two dates are, and then see how many month sized groups that makes. The problem with this is that a month is not a consistant number of days( it will either be 28,29,30 or 31) and then you have to make an assumption like Pankaj did.

#187300    Author: majid       Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 07/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Check out this code snippet and let me know is it based on some assumption. Yes just one and that is the time part you can ignore time part if you like based on requirements

private int CalculateTotalMonths(DateTime d1, DateTime d2)
{
int totalMonths = 0;
if (d1.Year != d2.Year)
{
totalMonths = d2.Month - d1.Month + (12 * (d2.Year - d1.Year));
}
else
{
d1 = new DateTime(d1.Year, d1.Month, d1.Day, d1.Hour, d1.Minute, d1.Second);
d2 = new DateTime(d2.Year, d2.Month, d2.Day, d2.Hour, d2.Minute, d2.Second);
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
TimeSpan span = d2 - d1;
while (span.TotalDays >= 0)
{
totalMonths++;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
span = d2 - d1;
}
}
return (totalMonths);
}

cheers :):)

#187569    Author: Steven Daniels      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 07/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

What is the result that you actually want? Because each one of the methods will give different results (in specific situations) you need to determine what your program requires and use that method. The code that you suggest is perfectly fine, if the totalMonths value is ends up being set to the value that you expect. I find it unusual that you would mix two month counting algorithms based on whether or not the year is the same. And I suspect there are some cases you didn't consider. Check out these examples:
Nov 30, 2007; Dec 1, 2007 == 0 ;expected
Nov 1, 2007; Dec 1, 2007 == 1 ;expected
Dec 30, 2007; Jan 1, 2008 == 1 ;maybe unexpected
Nov 30, 2007; Dec 1, 2008 == 13 ;maybe unxepected
Nov 1, 2007; Dec 1, 2008 == 13 ; expected

if you really want to count the number of full months, it seems as if you are on the right track, but I think it would be better to do:

private int CalculateTotalMonths(DateTime d1, DateTime d2)
{
int totalMonths = 0;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
while (d1 <= d2){
totalMonths++;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
}
return totalMonths;
}

Of course, this is a lot slower than just counting the month boundaries, especially for very large date differences. However, you could try this:
private static int CalculateTotalMonths(DateTime d1,DateTime d2)
{
return d2.Month - d1.Month + (12 * (d2.Year - d1.Year)) - ((d2.Day < d1.Day) ? 1 : 0);
}

(I am not 100% sure that this works in all cases, but it works in those examples above, and it just as fast for any date difference)

Steven

#187573    Author: majid       Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 07/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

I think it doesn't work for d1: 28/1/2007 d2:1/2/2007 isn't it? I don't need 1 month result in this case.

All I need is total months between two dates thats it.
The example could be, monthly profit calculations. If I have to calculate profit between two dates, I need to know how many months difference is there and based on totalmonths I do calculate profit.

I think the code I posted is not valid for all cases so I need to remove if condition in case when two years are not equal. Rest is fine. So in my scenario it will be all correct if I stick with this code:

int TotalMonths(DateTime d1, DateTime d2)
{
int totalMonths = 0;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
while (d1 <= d2)
{
totalMonths++;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
}
return (totalMonths);
}

I am recreating datetime instances to avoid the milliseconds messing. I hope this code will work fine in all scanerios.

Thanks for rectification Steve :).

#187574    Author: majid       Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 07/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

I think it doesn't work for d1: 28/1/2007 d2:1/2/2007 isn't it? I don't need 1 month result in this case.

All I need is total months between two dates thats it.
The example could be, monthly profit calculations. If I have to calculate profit between two dates, I need to know how many months difference is there and based on totalmonths I do calculate profit.

I think the code I posted is not valid for all cases so I need to remove if condition in case when two years are not equal. Rest is fine. So in my scenario it will be all correct if I stick with this code:

int TotalMonths(DateTime d1, DateTime d2)
{
int totalMonths = 0;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
while (d1 <= d2)
{
totalMonths++;
d1 = d1.AddMonths(1);
}
return (totalMonths);
}

I am recreating datetime instances to avoid the milliseconds messing. I hope this code will work fine in all scanerios.

Thanks for rectification Steve :).

#187576    Author: Steven Daniels      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 07/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

--edit-- It appears as if this isn't showing up in the correct order, this one should be below

My newest example was:
d2.Month - d1.Month + (12 * (d2.Year - d1.Year)) - ((d2.Day < d1.Day) ? 1 : 0);

==
2-1 + (12* (2007 - 2007)) - (1 < 28)?1:0
==
1 + 0 - 1
==

so I think it actually does work for that example

However, even if you don't want to use this method (I am fine with that :), you can get only the date part of the date by:

d1 = d1.Date;
d2 = d2.Date;

it is slightly more efficient than creating a new date by the parts of the dates (although, I really don't know if it would be noticable).

Steven

#187577    Author: Steven Daniels      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 07/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

I thought of a way in which my algorithm doesn't work, and that is if d1 is greater than d2.

you could always correct for that by swaping the two dates if d1 is > d2

your algorithm would also exibit this problem.

Steven

#187817    Author: majid       Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 08/Feb/2008   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

thats all fine mate, your formula is more appealing to me now so I am sticking with that :). The reason I am recreating a date part to avoid the milliseconds though I do need time part.

Thanks,

Majid

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Next : Is there any expert to solve this?
Previous : what is difference between String and string(data type) in c#?
Return to Discussion Forum
Post New Message
Category: .NET

Related Messages

Subscribe to Subscribers
Awards & Gifts
Talk to Webmaster Tony John

Online Members

sampath
praveen
More...
Copyright © SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt Ltd., Kochi, India