Use proper title, summary and description for resourcesThere are large number of resources posted in our site, but a big majority of them are not tuned to attract any search engine traffic. What is the use in writing a great resource but no one reads it? It is very important to optimize your resource to attract maximum search engine traffic.
The most important points for attracting search engine traffic to your resource are:
4. Proper use of Keywords
The title is the most important part of search engine optimization. Google looks at the title first before it decide whether a page need to be displayed in search result or not. Typically, if the term that people search are not part of the title, the page will not be shown in search results at all.
- Use a long, descriptive title so that it can contain multiple terms that can be searched by various people. Try to make the title atleast 10 words.
- Use a proper sentence as title. Do not use few words that are separated by comma, pipe symbol (|) etc.
- Think about the keywords in your resource that usually people will search for. Try to include that keyword/term/phrase in a meaningful manner in the title.
Take a look at the below image which is a Google search result page:
In the image, you can see that under the title, a short summary is displayed (which is marked in a red box).
If you provide a good summary in your resource, that summary will appear in the Google result page. If there is no proper summary, then Google will randomly pick some portion of text and display it there, which may or may not be interesting for the viewers. If the summary is not relevant or important, people may not bother to click on that result and may move on to some other results, by losing a visitor to our resource.
So, provide a good summary for all of your resources.
* The summary should be atleast 2 sentences (3 is ideal).
* Summary can be something like this:
In this article, I will explain ...... Also, I have mentioned about (topic1, topics 2, topic3 etc).
Let us take the resource "How to disable Aero in Windows 7" as an example. A good summary can be like this:
In this article, I will explain how to disable Aero in Windows 7.
Even though it is a great feature, sometimes you may want to disable it
for performance reasons.
Article title: Which is the best Antivirus?
In this article, I will explain some of the best antivirus
software available in the market. Antivirus is very important to keep
your Windows PC safe from malware.
In most cases, you can start the summary with the words "In this article, I will explain ...."
* Do not write everything in capital letters.
* Use proper grammar and spelling.
* Do not use few comma separated words as the summary. Summary should be meaningful and complete sentences.
There are 100s of code snippets posted in our resources section with no description. Such code snippets are very useful for people, but there is no way any one going to find them since Google will not show them in the search results.
So, a valid description is very important for any resource you submit. Even in case of code snippets, there must be 3-4 lines of description explaining what the code does.
Remember to include the keywords/terms/phrases few times in a meaningful manner in the description. You may use the <b></b> tags to make the keywords bold.